Location: Lewis-Manning Hospice Care, 56 Longfleet Road, Poole, BH15 2JD
Key duties and responsibilities
- Greet patients as they arrive and help them to get settled – make them feel welcome by engaging in conversation.
- Be available for a pre-shift briefing from the nursing staff – discuss any special needs of patients and the day’s proposed programme.
- Serve refreshments throughout the day as required e.g. hot and cold drinks on arrival, lunch.
- Set the tables, help serve patient lunches (pre-prepared) and clear away afterwards.
- Keep the kitchen area clean and tidy throughout the day, including use of the dishwasher (training provided).
- Encourage patient involvement in social and recreational activities and assist the person in participating in these e.g. quiz, dominos.
- Observe and give feedback to the team leader on the patients’ emotional and physical progress, wellbeing or deterioration.
- Respect the confidentiality of information held in relation to patients, past or present, volunteers and staff of Lewis-Manning Hospice Care.
- Maintain good relationships with patients and their families, and with volunteers, staff and visitors.
- Abide by the Health and Safety policies of Lewis-Manning Hospice Care.
Note: An enhanced Disclosure & Barring check will be required for this volunteer role.
- Enthusiastic and cheerful with a positive attitude.
- Reliable and trustworthy.
- Respectful of confidentiality (this is essential).
- A social person who enjoys interacting with others.
- Flexible to change.
- Respectful of others and their diversity.
- Passionate about helping families in your local community.
- Empathy and understanding.
- Experience of working within a day hospice environment is an advantage, but is not essential.
Mandatory training will be delivered at a Volunteers Induction & Training Day which will cover all mandatory modules. Volunteer Induction Days will be held regularly and all volunteers are encouraged to attend one of these sessions.
Additional online training is required for this role. You will receive guidance and training from a member of the Clinical team.