30 years ago, it was our founder, Mrs Marjorie Lewis-Manning, whose generosity and inspiration started Lewis-Manning Hospice Care, with a vision to help people with cancer and other life-limiting illnesses.
Throughout 2022, we have been celebrating the charity’s 30th anniversary and we are so proud of how much we have achieved in the last year – from expanding our services across Purbeck to opening new charity shops and welcoming wonderful new members of staff, trustees and volunteers!
Here are just some of the things that we’ve achieved over the past year, thanks to the amazing support of our amazing local community and people just like you.
Lewis-Manning’s highlights from 2022 include…
• Our ‘Simply Fabulous’ ball at St Giles House which raised enough money to fund a nurse for a whole year.
• Appointing Catherine our PHD studentship who will be studying end-of-life care for people with liver disease at our fantastic partner’s, Bournemouth University.
• Celebrating our amazing volunteer Robin, who was honoured with the prestigious ‘League of Mercy’ award in London He was chosen along with just 21 other volunteers from across the UK this year, and the only person from Dorset to receive this prestigious award.
• Hosting some wonderful community events, from our Great Dorset Jubilee Tea Party, Rick Stein Coffee Morning and Poole Flower Show to Candles on the Lake and Candles on the Beach.
• Increased our vital services ‘closer to home’ by expanding and delivering our care services in Wareham and Swanage, Wimborne and Bournemouth.
• Welcoming 26 permanent new members of staff to the team. Including Complementary Therapists Yewande and Emma, Nurses and HCA’s and a new Occupational Therapist working in the Breathlessness service.
• Celebrating 3 amazing new Trustees who joined the board, all bringing a wealth of knowledge to the charity – we cannot thank them enough for volunteering their time to make Lewis-Manning Hospice Care the fantastic place it is.
• Welcoming 57 wonderful new volunteers to the team. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are today.
• Unlocking the doors to two fabulous charity shops, in Winton and Swanage. Sustainable shopping just got more fashionable!
• Launching a Lymphoedema Clinic in Bournemouth at the AECC College, which was made possible due to the generosity of Walk the Walk charity.
• Opening a Breathlessness Clinic in Wimborne after the success and demand for the clinic in Swanage.
• Signing 30 amazing local businesses up to our ‘30 for 30’ pledge, helping us to raise £30,000 in our 30th year.
• Our extraordinary clinical team visited 371 patients’ homes for assessment/respite sits over the past year.
• Greeting 105 patients to our Day Hospice hubs across Dorset.
• Winning the Poole and Bournemouth Business Awards for Green/ Eco Business of the Year and Overall Business Winner.
• And SO MUCH MORE!
Thank you to everybody that helped make our 30th year so special and here’s to another 30 years of providing extraordinary hospice care in your community!