Location: Poole (Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays), Canford Magna (Mondays) and Purbeck (Tuesdays)– collecting patients from their own homes and taking them to their respite sessions.
Our amazing volunteers are an integral part of the Lewis-Manning Hospice team and are invaluable in helping us achieve our vision and mission. They make a huge difference to the lives of our patients in many ways and provide compassionate support for patients, their families, and carers.
Role and Responsibilities
- To collect patients from their own homes and take them to the hospice. At the end of their session collect and return the patients home, in your own car.
- Drivers may be required to carry light loads, such as hand bags or walking sticks.
- To pass on any concerns you have about a patient’s condition to the appropriate member of Hospice staff without delay.
- Maintain confidentiality; volunteer drivers are not expected to discuss any patients with anyone other than the appropriate member of hospice staff.
- Adhere to our ‘Driving Patients for Lewis-Manning Hospice’ Policy and our ‘Driving at Work Policy’.
- Being courteous, friendly and professional at all times
- Having a conversation and listening to passenger stories
What you will NOT be expected to do
- Personal care
- Administering of medication
- Give advice on medical, legal, or financial affairs
- Anything you feel uncomfortable with
Skills & Qualities Required
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to communicate confidently and with sensitivity
- Ability to receive and give written and verbal instructions clearly
- Able to assess situations and respond appropriately
- Honest and trustworthy
- Dependable, reliable, flexible, punctual
Training Requirements for the Role
- Online mandatory training modules to complete;
- Falls prevention – 1hr
- GDPR Awareness – 10 mins
- Hand Hygiene – 20 mins
- Lone working – 1hr
- Safeguarding Adults (Level 1) – 1hr
- Privacy and Dignity – 20mins
- Moving and Handling (Clinical) – 25mins
- Attend in-house Volunteer Training Day’s as/when required
Reimbursement of out-of-pocket reasonable expenses such as mileage or public transport costs. Assistance to help complete accurate expense claims will be available if required.
If you have any questions please feel free to call our Volunteer Manager on 01202 708470.
This volunteer role description may be subject to change according to the needs of the service.
Please click here to read the full description.